Born On This Day:
- John Law, 1671
- Charlotte Brontë, 1816
- Josh Billings, 1818
- John Muir, 1838
- Edmund G. (Pat) Brown, 1905
- Norman Parkinson, 1913
- Anthony Quinn, 1915
- John Mortimer, 1923
- H.M. Queen Elizabeth II, 1926
- Robert Brustein, 1927
- Silvana Mangano, 1930
- Elaine May, 1932
- Charles Grodin, 1935
- Iggie Pop, 1947
- Patti LuPone, 1949
- Tony Danza, 1951
- Andie MacDowell, 1958
- Jamie Sale, 1977
Died On This Day:
- Pope Alexander II, 1073
- King Henry VII, 1509
- Jean Racine, 1699
- Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), 1910
- Baron von Richthofen (Red Baron) shot down, 1918
- Eleonora Duse, 1924
- Lady Ottoline Morrell, 1938
- John Maynard Keynes, 1946
- Sir Stafford Cripps, 1952
- Gummo Marx, 1977
- Rudi Gernreich, 1985
- I.A.L. Diamond, 1988
- James Kirkwood, 1989
- Erté, 1990
- Jimmy 'The Greek' Snyder, 1996
- Nina Simone, 2003
- Prince (Prince Rogers Nelson), 2016
- 753 BC - Traditional date of founding of Rome by Romulus.
- 43 BC - Marcus Antonius defeated by Octavian near Modena, Italy.
- 1789 - John Adams sworn in as first Vice President of the United States.
- 1790 - Largest gathering of people at one time in America - 20,000 attend funeral of Benjamin Franklin.
- 1836 - 900 Texans under Sam Houston defeat Mexicans under Gen. Santa Anna at Battle of San Jacinto.
- 1857 - The 'Bustle' patented by inventor Alexander Douglas.
- 1906 - San Francisco fire ends.
- 1908 - Dr. Frederick Cook reaches North Pole, he claims, but in fact he didn't.
- 1933 - World's First Television Revue - 'Looking In' starring the Paramount Astoria Girls broadcast on the BBC.
- 1940 - Radio quiz show $64 Dollar Question premieres.
- 1955 - 'Inherit the Wind' opens 806 performance run at National Theatre, N.Y.
- 1959 - World record great white shark weighing 2,664 lbs caught offf Ceduna, S. Australia by Alfred Dean.
- 1960 - Brasilia is now the capital of Brazil.
- 1967 - General Motors celebrates the manufacture of its 100 millionth car - an Oldsmobile Toronado.
- 1967 - Greek military junta takes over government.
- 1967 - Russian monster Joseph Stalin's daughter defects to US; Svetlana Aliluyeva arrives in New York City.
- 1976 - General Motors makes very last Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
- 2001 - Hasim Rahman knocks out Lennox Lewis in Johannesburg in surprise World Heavyweight Boxing win.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Anastasius I of Antioch
- Conrad of Parzham
- Simeon Barsabbas
- Anselm (died this day 1190)
- Birthday of Rome celebrated in Italy
- San Jacinto Day celebrated in Texas
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...