Born On This Day:
- Ethan Allen, 1738
- John C. Fremont, 1813
- General Stonewall Jackson, 1824
- King Oscar II Sweden, 1829
- Christian Dior, 1905
- Igor Moiseyev, 1906
- Paul Scofield, 1922
- Telly Savalas, 1924
- Benny Hill, 1925
- Placido Domingo, 1934
- Wolfman Jack, 1938
- Jack Nicklaus, 1940
- Richie Havens, 1941
- Mac Davis, 1942
- Jill Eikenberry, 1947
- Billy Ocean, 1950
- Robbie Benson, 1956
- Geena Davis, 1957
- Dany Heatley, 1981
Died On This Day:
- Louis XVI guillotined, 1793
- V. I. Lenin, 1924
- Lytton Strachey, 1932
- George Orwell, 1950
- Cecil B. deMille, 1959
- Jackie Wilson, 1984
- Charles E. Goodell, 1987
- Carl Furillo, 1989
- Col. Tom Parker, 1996
- Jack Lord, 1998
- Susan Strasberg, 1999
- Peggy Lee, 2002
- Michael Winner, 2013
- Kaye Ballard, 2019
- Russell Baker, 2019
- 1506 - Swiss Guard in Vatican City founded-oldest army in the world.
- 1790 - Joseph Guillotine proposes humane method of execution: machine to cut off condemned person's head.
- 1846 - The London Daily News first published, edited by Charles Dickens only until February 9.
- 1853 - Machine to fold envelopes patented by Dr. Russell L. Hawes of Worcester, Mass.
- 1907 - First taxi cabs hit the cobblestones in Britain.
- 1908 - First No Smoking legislation: women not permitted to smoke cigarettes in public in New York City.
- 1911 - First Monte Carlo car rally begins.
- 1915 - First Kiwanis Club chartered in Detroit.
- 1942 - Thousands of Hungarian Jews massacred by their own countrymen at Novi Sad by the Danube River over a three-day period.
- 1954 - U.S. submarine Nautilus, first Atom powered ship, launched and christened by Mamie Eisenhower.
- 1976 - Concorde makes its inaugural flight from London to Bahrain.
- 1977 - President Jimmy Carter declares amnesty for all Vietnam War draft evaders.
- 1984 - Britain's first test-tube triplets were born to mother Anne Maaye - a girl and two boys.
- 2012 - 16 year-old Dutch schoolgirl Laura Decker becomes youngest person to sail solo around the world.
- 2017 - Nearly five million women (and some men) march in 476 cities around the world to protest Trump's policies, one-half mil in D.C.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Fructuosus of Tarragona
- Anniversary of Lenin's Death celebrated in Moscow
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...