Born On This Day:
- Petrarch, 1304
- Howard Thurston, 1869
- Theda Bara, 1890
- Sir Edmund Hillary, 1919
- Cormac McCarthy, 1933
- Sally Ann Howes, 1934
- Natalie Wood, 1938
- Diana Rigg, 1938
- Kim Carnes, 1946
- Carlos Santana, 1947
- Gisele Bundchen, 1980
Died On This Day:
- King Robert II France, 1031
- Pope Leo XIII, 1903
- Pancho Villa assassinated, 1923
- Gugliemo Marconi, 1937
- Paul Valery, 1945
- Jim Fixx, 1984
- John Bratby, 1992
- Lucian Freud, 2011
- 1715 - Riot Act passed in England making assembly of more than twelve persons on street unlawful.
- 1845 - First white man enters Simpson's desert, Central Australia (Charles Stuart).
- 1858 - World's first commercial baseball game, Brooklyn vs. NY All-Stars; 50 cents admission charged.
- 1871 - British Columbia joins Dominion of Canada.
- 1903 - Pope Pius succeeds on death of Pope Leo XIII.
- 1917 - Pact of Corfu leads to establishment of kingdom of Yugoslavia under Prince Alex II Serbia.
- 1944 - German generals attempt to assassinate Hitler-The July Plot.
- 1969 - President Richard Nixon places first earth-to-moon telephone call.
- 1969 - Apollo 11's Neil Armstrong becomes first man to walk on moon at 10:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time.
- 1974 - Turkey invades Cyprus.
- 1976 - Hank Aaron hits last homerun of his career, his 755th.
- 1976 - U.S. Viking spacecraft lands on Mars-no signs of life; rocky earth-like desert terrain shown in pix.
- 1985 - Sunken treasure worth over $400 million found off Florida in 350 year-old Spanish galleon.
- 1988 - Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini ends eight-year war with Iraq; Accepts UN Cease-fire Resolution 598.
- 2015 - Diplomatic relations re-established between the USA and Cuba after 54 years.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Margaret (1)
- Jerome Emiliani
- Independence Day Columbia (1810)
- Festival of Elijah in Greece, Rumania
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...