Born On This Day:
- Marcus Aurelius Antonius, 121 BC
- Saint Rose of Lima, 1586
- Charles Louis Napoleon Bonaparte III, 1808
- Adolf Hitler, 1889
- Harold Lloyd, 1893
- Joan Miró, 1893
- Señor Wences (Wenceslao Moreno), 1896
- Lionel Hampton, 1908
- Tito Puente, 1923
- Morris Chafetz, 1924
- Nina Foch, 1924
- Ryan O'Neal, 1941
- Jessica Lange, 1949
- Luther Vandross, 1951
- Don Mattingley, 1962
- Carmen Electra, 1972
Died On This Day:
- Pontiac, Chief of Ottawas,, 1759
- George Frideric Handel, 1759
- Giovanni Antonio Canaletto, 1768
- Bram Stoker, 1912
- King Christian X Denmark, 1947
- Archibald MacLeish, 1982
- Mabel Mercer, 1984
- Benny Hill, 1992
- Cantinflas (Mario Moreno Reyes), 1993
- Señor Wences (Wenceslao Moreno), 1999
- 1657 - Jews in New Amsterdam win right to full citizenship; landmark in American religious freedom.
- 1770 - Captain James Cook discovers New South Wales, Australia.
- 1792 - France declares war on Austria, war of the first coalition.
- 1836 - Wisconsin Territory established by Congress.
- 1902 - Atomic element radium is isolated by Pierre and Marie Curie coining term 'radioactive.'
- 1940 - The electron microscope first demonstrated in Philly; inventor-Dr. Vladimir Zworykin
- 1945 - Russian forces reach Berlin. WWII.
- 1949 - The drug Cortisone discovered by American chemist Edward Calvin Kendall who won 1950 Nobel Prize.
- 1971 - Supreme Court upholds the use of forced busing of children to avoid segregation.
- 1972 - Third exploration of the moon by Apollo XVI by astronauts John Young and Charles Duke.
- 1976 - Barbara Walters becomes first woman to be offered $1 million per year by TV network (ABC).
- 1980 - Mariel boatlift of Cubans to the United States begins.
- 1999 - Columbine High School massacre in Colorado; Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold open fire on classmates killing 12.
- 2010 - BP oil spill in Gulf of Mexico following Deepwater Horizon oil well explosion (11 dead) begins dumping millions of gallons of oil into Gulf; major environmental disaster begins.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Zodiac: Aries ends, Taurus begins
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...