Born On This Day:
- Henry III France, 1551
- Joseph Pasternak, 1901
- William Golding, 1911
- Clifton Daniel, 1912
- Lurleen Wallace, 1926
- Duke Snider, 1926
- Steve Ross, 1927
- Adam West, 1928
- Rosemary Harris, 1930
- Mike Royko, 1932
- David McCallum, 1933
- Brian Epstein, 1934
- Mama Cass Elliott, 1943
- Paul Williams, 1944
- Jeremy Irons, 1948
- Twiggy Lawson, 1949
- Joan Lunden, 1951
- Trisha Yearwood, 1964
Died On This Day:
- President James Garfield, 1881
- Condé Nast, 1942
- Will Cuppy OD/suicide, 1949
- Gram Parsons, 1973
- Hermes Pan, 1990
- Orville Redenbacher, 1995
- Ken Norton, 2013
- Jackie Collins, 2015
- 1356 - English under Edward the Black Prince beat French in Battle of Poitiers. (100 Yrs War)
- 1783 - Montgolfier brothers send up first balloon with live creatures on board - sheep, rooster, duck.
- 1825 - Ludwig van Beethoven makes last public appearance at String Quartet in B flat in Vienna.
- 1870 - Germans siege Paris.
- 1873 - Another 'Black Friday' as Jay Cooke & Co. of Philadelphia fails provoking financial panic.
- 1876 - The carpet sweeper patented by American inventor Melville Bissell.
- 1881 - V.P. Chester A. Arthur becomes President on death of James Garfield who was shot July 2.
- 1888 - World's first beauty contest in Belgium won by Creole from Guadaloupe-Bertha Soucaret.
- 1893 - New Zealand becomes first nation to let women vote after bill signed by Gov. Lord Glasgow.
- 1955 - Juan Peron deposed by military coup in Argentina after 10 year rule.
- 1982 - The first 'smiley,' :-) sent by IBM researcher Scott Fahlman.
- 1985 - 7.8 earthquake (with 7.3 aftershock) devastates Mexico City-20,000 dead.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Januarius (Gennaro)
- Emily de Rodat
- Theodore of Canterbury (died today AD 690)
- Day of Thoth, Egyptian form of Mercury
- National Holiday in St. Kitts and Nevis
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...