Born On This Day:
- King James I of England, 1566
- Thomas Fuller, 1608
- Blaise Pascal, 1623
- Elbert Hubbard, 1856
- Earl Douglas Haig, 1861
- Dame May Whitty, 1865
- Charles Coburn, 1877
- Duchess of Windsor, 1896
- Laura Z. Hobson, 1900
- Guy Lombardo, 1902
- Lou Gehrig, 1903
- Mildred Natwick, 1905
- Abe Fortas, 1910
- Alan Cranston, 1914
- Pauline Kael, 1919
- Louis Jourdan, 1920
- Nancy Marchand, 1928
- Gena Rowlands, 1936
- Salman Rushdie, 1947
- Phylicia Rashad, 1948
- Ann Wilson, 1950
- Kathleen Turner, 1954
- Paula Abdul, 1962
- Boris Johnson, 1964
- Garfield the Cat, 1978
Died On This Day:
- Samuel Chase, 1811
- Emperor Maximilian Mexico executed, 1867
- J. M. Barrie, 1937
- Julius & Ethel Rosenberg executed, 1953
- Ed Wynn, 1966
- Sam Giancana shot, 1975
- Len Bias OD, 1986
- Jean Arthur, 1991
- William Golding, 1993
- Manute Bol, 2010
- Slim Whitman, 2013
- James Gandolfini, 2013
- AD 325 - AD Early Christian church opens general council of Nicaea which settles rules for date of Easter.
- 1846 - First public baseball game played; N.Y. 9 beats Knickerbockers 23-1 in Hoboken.
- 1856 - First Republican national convention ends in Philly with nomination of John C. Fremont for President
- 1865 - Slaves freed in Texas.
- 1867 - First running of the Belmont Stakes at Jerome Park, NY.
- 1905 - World's first 96-seat nickelodeon opens in Pittsburgh showing silent film 'The Great Train Robbery.'
- 1905 - Mutiny on Battleship Potemkin.
- 1910 - First Zeppelin airliner launched in Germany.
- 1936 - In boxing upset Max Schmeling KOs Joe Louis in the 4th round; in rematch Louis wins in 124 seconds.
- 1946 - First championship prizefight to be televised; Joe Louis KO's Billy Conn at Yankee Stadium.
- 1953 - Gamal Abdul Nasser becomes premier of newly proclaimed republic of Egypt.
- 1964 - Civil Rights Act of 1964 approved after 83-day filibuster in US Senate.
- 1967 - First Monterey Pop Festival; 50,000 hippies converge; Byrds, Jefferson Airplane perform.
- 1992 - 42 year-old boxing challenger Larry Holmes outpointed by heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield.
- 2006 - New world record art sale revealed: Neue Galerie NY acquires Gustav Klimt for $135 million.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Gervase and Protase
- Juliana Falconieri
- Boniface (or Bruno) of Querfurt
- Independence Day Kuwait (1961)
- Juneteenth celebrated in Texas - first celebration of the end of slavery
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...