Born On This Day:
- Leigh Hunt, 1784
- Alfred Dreyfus, 1859
- Auguste Lumiere, 1862
- Lewis Mumford, 1895
- Jack Anderson, 1922
- John Le Carré, 1931
- Robert Reed, 1932
- Dave Guard, 1934
- Jim Reeves, 1935
- Peter Max, 1937
- Peter Tosh, 1944
- John Lithgow, 1945
- Jennifer Holliday, 1960
- Evander Holyfield, 1962
Died On This Day:
- King John, 1216
- Jonathan Swift, 1745
- George Pullman, 1897
- John Reed, 1920
- Edna St. Vincent Millay, 1950
- Elizabeth Arden, 1966
- Gig Young suicide, 1978
- PM Maurice Bishop of Grenada killed, 1983
- Jacqueline du Pre, 1987
- Martha Raye, 1994
- Tom Bosley, 2010
- 125 BC - Era of Tyre begins.
- 1781 - George Washington beats British! Cornwallis surrenders at Yorktown ending War of Independence.
- 1790 - 400 troops attack 150 Indians northwest of Ohio-First battle fought by U.S. troops.
- 1807 - Discovery of sodium announced by Sir Humphrey Davy.
- 1812 - Napoleon's army begins retreat from Russia in severe cold conditions.
- 1845 - Wagner's 'Tanhauser' first performed in Dresden Opera House.
- 1864 - Union victory over Confederates at Battle of Cedar Creek (Civil War).
- 1872 - 472 pound lump of reef gold, the Holtermann Nugget, discovered in New South Wales, Australia.
- 1904 - American Tobacco Company incorporated.
- 1960 - Martin Luther King and 52 others arrested at 'whites only' restaurant in Atlanta.
- 1978 - Anatoly Karpov of the USSR defeats defector Viktor Korchnoi for world chess championship.
- 1987 - 'Black Monday' crash on Wall Street. Dow Jones plunges 508 points for largest 1 day loss (-22.6%).
- 2005 - Saddam Hussein goes on trial in Baghdad, only the second president of a country to be accused of war crimes.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John of Rila
- Peter of Alcantara
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...