Born On This Day:
- Samuel Johnson, 1709
- Pope Gregory XVI, 1765
- John Diefenbaker, 1895
- Eddie Anderson, 1905
- Agnes de Mille, 1905
- Greta Garbo, 1905
- Kwame Nkrumah, 1909
- Rossano Brazzi, 1916
- Jack Warden, 1920
- Robert Blake, 1933
- Frankie Avalon, 1939
- James Gandolfini, 1961
- Lance Armstrong, 1971
Died On This Day:
- King Louis VII France, 1180
- Van Eyck, 1426
- William Hazlitt, 1830
- Charles M. Schwab, 1939
- Dag Hammarskjold killed, 1961
- Sean O'Casey, 1964
- Franchot Tone, 1968
- Jimi Hendrix OD, 1970
- Katherine Anne Porter, 1980
- Vitas Gerulaitis, 1994
- 1769 - First piano, a spinet, produced in America by John Harris of Boston.
- 1793 - Silver cornerstone of Capitol, Washington D.C., laid by President George Washington.
- 1851 - New York Times begins publication under the slogan 'all the news that's fit to print.'
- 1891 - White woman Harriet Maxwell Converse (Gaiswahoh) becomes chief of Indian Tribe - 6 Nations in NY.
- 1914 - U.S. Army Air Service created.
- 1927 - Columbia Phonograph Broadcasting System, later CBS Radio, begins broadcasting.
- 1947 - National Security Act unifies the Army, Navy and newly formed Air Force.
- 1975 - Patty Hearst arrested as fugitive by the FBI in San Francisco. To spend 22 months in jail.
- 1978 - Begin and Sadat agree plan for peace in Middle East at Camp David.
- 1980 - First black person in space: Arnaldo Tamayo-Mendez of Cuba flies in Soviet Rocket Salyut6 on 8 day mission.
- 1981 - France abolishes the guillotine.
- 1988 - After bloody student riots, Burma military seize power; Gen. U. Saw Maung repels students
- 2001 - New York City reveals death and missing toll of Sept. 11 disaster at 5,422 later revised to 2,787.
- 2001 - Taliban leaders in Afghanistan confirm their declaration of a Jihad (holy war) against America.
- 2014 - Scots vote against becoming independent of the United Kingdom.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Methodius of Olympus
- Joseph of Copertino
- Independence Day Chile (1810),
- Korean National Festival of Chusok
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...