Born On This Day:
- Emperor Rudolf II, 1552
- William Makepeace Thackeray, 1811
- W.G. Grace, 1848
- Laurence Housman, 1865
- Gene Lockhart, 1891
- Richard Dix, 1894
- Chill Wills, 1903
- Clifford Odets, 1906
- S.I. Hayakawa, 1906
- Andrei Gromyko, 1909
- Harriet Nelson, 1909
- Hume Cronyn, 1911
- Red Skelton, 1913
- Nelson Mandela, 1918
- John Glenn, 1921
- Kurt Masur, 1927
- Dick Button, 1929
- Yevgeny Yevtushenko, 1933
- Hunter S. Thompson, 1937
- Hunter Thompson, 1939
- James Brolin, 1941
- Martha Reeves, 1941
- Steve Forbes, 1947
- Richard Branson, 1950
- Ricky Skaggs, 1954
- Nick Faldo, 1957
- Elizabeth McGovern, 1961
- Vin Diesel, 1967
Died On This Day:
- Petrarch, 1374
- Caravaggio, 1610
- John Paul Jones, 1792
- Jane Austen, 1817
- Benito Juarez, 1872
- Thomas Cook, 1892
- Horatio Alger, 1899
- Queen Marie Rumania, 1938
- Dr. Karl Menninger, 1990
- Jean Negulesco, 1993
- General William Westmoreland, 2005
- AD 64 - Two-thirds of Rome burned as, it was said, Nero fiddled.
- 1855 - First postage stamp issued in New Zealand.
- 1877 - Thomas A. Edison discovers principle of recorded sound shouting 'Halloo!' into a strip phonograph.
- 1925 - Mein Kampf part one published in Germany; Hitler dictated book to Rudolf Hess in prison.
- 1947 - British sailors storm refugee ship Exodus 1947 killing 3 and injuring hundreds, stopping their emigration to Palestine and sending them to a former German Concentration Camp.
- 1951 - Jersey Joe Walcott beats Ezzard Charles in 7 rounds at Philly for heavyweight boxing championship.
- 1955 - First electric power generated from atomic energy sold by Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1964 - Blacks riot in New York City, violence spreads across country.
- 1968 - Intel incorporated by Robert Noyce, Andy Grove and Gordon Moore.
- 1969 - Sen. Edward Kennedy drives car off Chappaquiddick bridge in Eastern Massachusetts killing teacher/political campaigner Mary Jo Kopechne.
- 1976 - Nadia Comaneci, 14, becomes first Olympic gymnast in history to score a perfect ten in the team event at the Montreal 1976 games.
- 1977 - Vietnam admitted to UN.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Symphorosa and her seven sons
- National Day in Spain (1936)
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...