Born On This Day:
- Lucrezia Borgia, 1480
- Clarence Darrow, 1857
- Leopold Stokowski, 1882
- Marcel Pagnol, 1895
- Wendy Barrie, 1910
- Huntington Hartford, 1911
- Clive Revill, 1930
- Ed Garvey, 1940
- Hayley Mills, 1946
- James Woods, 1947
- Rick Moranis, 1953
- Eric Roberts, 1956
- Conan O'Brien, 1963
- Melissa Joan Hart, 1976
Died On This Day:
- Erasmus Darwin, 1802
- Sir John Fleming, 1945
- Ernie Pyle killed, 1945
- Albert Einstein, 1955
- Ben Hecht, 1964
- Marcel Pagnol, 1974
- Thor Heyerdahl, 2002
- Dick Clark, 2012
- 1521 - Martin Luther ends his defense at the Imperial Diet of worms. Protest sparks Protestantism reform.
- 1593 - Shakespeare's first published work, Venus and Adonis, entered in Stationer's Register.
- 1775 - Paul Revere's ride from Boston to Lexington to warn leaders-'The British are coming!'
- 1846 - R.E. House of New York patents telegraph ticker that prints letters of alphabet.
- 1906 - 8.3 San Francisco earthquake begins 5:15 a.m.; 600 dead, 300,000 homeless, $5.44 billion damage.
- 1909 - Joan of Arc beatified by the pope.
- 1910 - Walter R. Brookins is first person to make airplane flight at night at Montgomery, AL.
- 1923 - 74,000 baseball fans flock to the first game at New York's new Yankee Stadium; Babe Ruth homers.
- 1934 - First public washing machines installed in Fort Worth 'washateria' by J.F. Cantrell.
- 1942 - First American air attack against Japanese-bombs dropped on Kobe, Yokohama & Nagoya. WWII
- 1949 - Eire renounces ties with British Commonwealth and becomes Republic of Ireland.
- 1980 - Rhodesia becomes Zimbabwe at midnight; independence from Britain delivered by Prince Charles.
- 1983 - Arabs blow up American Embassy in Beirut with 300 lb. car bomb.
- 2009 - Prince Philip becomes Britain's longest serving consort overtaking the record of Queen Charlotte, wife of George III, of 57 years 70 days.
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...