Born On This Day:
- Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York, 1473
- Davy Crockett, 1786
- Marcus Garvey, 1887
- Monty Woolley, 1888
- Mae West, 1893
- John Hay 'Jock' Whitney, 1904
- Mikhail Botvinnik, 1911
- Maureen O'Hara, 1921
- Larry Rivers, 1923
- George Melly, 1926
- Francis Gary Powers, 1929
- Robert De Niro, 1943
- Julian Fellowes, 1949
- Belinda Carlisle, 1958
- Sean Penn, 1960
- Thierry Henry, 1977
Died On This Day:
- Frederick II (the Great) King Prussia, 1786
- Fernand Leger, 1955
- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1969
- Conrad Aiken, 1973
- Vivian Vance, 1979
- Ira Gershwin, 1983
- Rudolf Hess suicide, 1987
- Pearl Bailey, 1990
- Jack Sharkey, 1994
- 1812 - French victory over Russians at Battle of Smolensk.
- 1835 - Solyman Merrick of Springfield, Mass. patents his wrench.
- 1896 - First UK pedestrian killed by a car (travelling 4mph) at Crystal Palace, London.
- 1896 - Gold discovered in Rabbit Creek (renamed Bonanza), Yukon Territory, sparking gold rush.
- 1915 - Patent received by Charles F. Kettering on the first self-starter for automobiles; cranks are out.
- 1919 - Swimmer Gertrude Ederle, 12, becomes the youngest world-record breaker in history of sport.
- 1943 - Allied forces capture entire island of Sicily capturing 130,000 Germans and Italians. WWII.
- 1969 - Hurricane Camille kills 256 in Caribbean, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
- 1978 - Hot-air balloon, the Double Eagle II, finishes first transatlantic crossing of Atlantic landing in France.
- 1998 - William Jefferson Clinton becomes first US president to testify in front of Grand Jury (on sex case).
- 1999 - 7.5 earthquake in Turkey kills 12,000 with 30,000 missing and 250,000 homeless; epicenter Izmit.
- 2008 - US swimmer Michael Phelps wins 8th gold medal in the 2008 Olympics beating all time record for gold medals and Mark Spitz's 36 year-old swimming record.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Indonesia (1950)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...