Born On This Day:
- Samuel Chase, 1741
- J. Pierpont Morgan, 1837
- Artur Schnabel, 1882
- Isak Dinesen, 1885
- Nikita Khrushchev, 1894
- Thornton Wilder, 1897
- Gregor Piatigorsky, 1903
- William Holden, 1918
- Harry Reasoner, 1923
- Lindsay Anderson, 1923
- Don Kirshner, 1934
- Daffy Duck (in Porky's Duck Hunt), 1941
- Jan Hammer, 1948
- Olivia Hussey, 1951
Died On This Day:
- Holy Roman Emperor Joseph I , 1711
- Benjamin Franklin, 1790
- Alexander MacKenzie, 1892
- Eddie Cochran, 1960
- Gen. Mark Clark, 1984
- Dick Shawn, 1987
- Louise Nevelson, 1988
- Ralph Abernathy, 1990
- Chaim Herzog, 1997
- Linda McCartney, 1998
- Robert Atkins, 2003
- Kitty Carlisle, 2007
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 2014
- Barbara Bush, 2018
- 1421 - More than 100,000 drown in Dort, the Netherlands, when the sea broke through the dykes.
- 1492 - Christopher Columbus makes deal with Queen Isabella; Spain to finance search for west route to Asia.
- 1521 - Martin Luther excommunicated by the Diet of Worms.
- 1524 - Florentine explorer Giovanni Verrazano discovers New York Harbor.
- 1629 - Horses first imported into the colonies by the Massachusetts Bay Company.
- 1818 - Brooks Brothers Clothing Store opens in New York City.
- 1824 - Treaty between U.S. and Russia gives Russia Alaskan territory north of 54º40'.
- 1839 - Republic of Guatemala established.
- 1897 - Turkey declares war on Greece.
- 1912 - First million selling record recorded - Al Jolson's 'Ragging the Baby to Sleep' for Victor Records.
- 1924 - Metro-Goldwyn Corp. merges with the Louis B. Mayer Co. in largest motion picture company merger.
- 1961 - 1,500 C.I.A.-trained Cuban exiles invade Cuba-Bay of Pigs; disastrous attempt to overthrow Castro.
- 1964 - Rolling Stones first album (self-titled) released in England.
- 1964 - Ford Motor Company introduces new model - The Mustang
- 1970 - Apollo 13 limps safely back to earth with astronauts Lovell, Swigert and Haise safe.
- 1975 - Five year civil war in Cambodia ends; Communists size control of capital Phnom Penh.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Robert of Chaise-Dieu
- Stephen Harding
- Independence Day Syria (1946)
- Flag Day celebrated in American Samoa
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...