Born On This Day:
- Prince Rupert of the Rhine, 1619
- Thomas Chandler Haliburton (Sam Slick), 1796
- John Greenleaf Whittier, 1807
- Herbert Beerbohm Tree, 1853
- Ford Madox Ford, 1873
- Erwin Piscator, 1893
- Arthur Fiedler, 1894
- Erskine Caldwell, 1903
- William Safire, 1929
- Bob Guccione, 1930
- Tommy Steele, 1936
- Paul Butterfield, 1942
- Bill Pullman, 1954
- Milla Jovovich, 1975
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory VIII, 1187
- Saint John of Matha, 1213
- Simon Bolivar, 1830
- King Leopold II Belgium, 1909
- Dorothy Sayers, 1957
- Thomas Mitchell, 1962
- Dana Andrews, 1992
- Jennifer Jones, 2009
- Kim Jong-il, 2011
- 1538 - Pope Paul III excommunicates England's King Henry VIII.
- 1572 - Spanish army begins fires in Haarlem, the Netherlands.
- 1745 - Bonnie Prince Charles army retreats to Scotland.
- 1777 - France recognizes the independence of English colonies in America.
- 1777 - Gen. George Washington takes troops to Valley Forge, PA for a rotten winter in Revolutionary War.
- 1790 - Aztec Calendar or Solar Stone uncovered by workmen repairing Central Plaza in Mexico City.
- 1791 - First one-way street designated in America in New York.
- 1819 - Simon Bolivar becomes President of newly formed Republic of Columbia.
- 1900 - French offer 100,000ff for proof of extraterrestrial communications; Mars excluded - too easy.
- 1903 - Orville Wright makes four flights in first plane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina; longest is 850 feet.
- 1933 - Show business publication Daily Variety first published in Hollywood.
- 1933 - Chicago Bears defeat NY Giants in first professional world championship football game.
- 1986 - Medical history made as Davina Thompson gets first heart, lung & liver transplant at Cambridge, UK.
- 1997 - New Jersey becomes first state of the union to permit gay couples to adopt children.
Feast Day of Saint:
- On Matsuri Festival in Nara, Japan
- National Day in Bhutan
- Pan American Aviation Day and Wright Brothers Day in the USA
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...