Born On This Day:
- Georg Büchner, 1813
- A.S. Neill, 1883
- Spring Byington, 1893
- Nathaniel West, 1903
- Jean Arthur, 1908
- Pope John Paul I, 1912
- Arthur Miller, 1915
- Rita Hayworth, 1918
- Zhao Ziyang, 1919
- Montgomery Clift, 1920
- Tom Poston, 1927
- Jimmy Breslin, 1930
- Evel Knievel, 1938
- Cameron Mackintosh, 1946
- Michael McKean, 1947
- Margot Kidder, 1948
- George Wendt, 1948
- Howard Rollins, 1950
- Mike Judge, 1962
- Eminem, 1974
Died On This Day:
- Sir Philip Sidney, 1586
- Ninon de Lenclos, 1705
- Frédéric Chopin, 1849
- Charles A. Dana, 1897
- King Ludwig III Bavaria, 1921
- Henry Pu Yi, Last Emperor of China,, 1967
- S.J. Perelman, 1979
- Tennessee Ernie Ford, 1991
- Teresa Brewer, 2007
- Joey Bishop, 2007
- 1346 - Victory over invading Scottish army at Battle of Neville's Cross.
- 1662 - Charles II sells Dunkirk to the French (Treaty of Dunkirk).
- 1777 - Victory of American colonists over British; General Burgoyne surrenders.
- 1797 - Peace of Campo Formio between France & Austria gives France Belgium, Austria gets Venice.
- 1854 - Henry Bessemer patents his process for making steel.
- 1859 - Robert E. Lee's federal troops hit Harper's Ferry; John Brown arrested for treason; 10 men die.
- 1902 - First sleek 'Runabout' Cadillac car shipped from Detroit to dealer in Buffalo NY.
- 1904 - Bank of Italy, later Bank of America, opened by Amadeo Peter Giannini in San Francisco.
- 1919 - RCA (Radio Corporation of America) incorporated.
- 1956 - Britain's first nuclear power plant opened by Queen Elizabeth at Sellafield in Cumbria.
- 1966 - 'Hollywood Squares' TV game show premieres.
- 1989 - 7.1 Loma Prieta Earthquake hits S.F. Bay Area at 5:15 P.M.; 2nd biggest in California history.
- 1997 - Che Guevara finally buried 30 years after he died in the Bolivian jungle, executed by Bolivian troops.
- 2017 - Dow Jones Industrial Average slips over 23,000 briefly for the first time. 22,000 August 2nd - can it continue?
Feast Day of Saint:
- Etheldreda (or Audrey)
- Margaret Mary
- Ethelbert and Ethelred of Kent
- Kannamé-Sai (Japanese Gods of Harvest Festival)
- Tibeton Festival of Ancestors begins (6 days)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...