Born On This Day:
- George Meany, 1894
- Prince Francis Joseph II of Liechtenstein, 1906
- Menachem Begin, 1913
- Fess Parker, 1927
- Ann Blyth, 1928
- Frank Gifford, 1930
- Eydie Gorme, 1932
- Anita Gillette, 1936
- Bob Balaban, 1945
- Suzanne Farrell, 1945
- Lesley Ann Warren, 1946
- Carol Moseley-Braun, 1947
- James Cameron, 1954
- Madonna, 1958
- Timothy Hutton, 1960
Died On This Day:
- Thomas Fuller, 1661
- Duncan Phyfe, 1854
- R.W. von Bunsen, 1899
- Babe Ruth, 1948
- Margaret Mitchell killed, 1949
- Lord Hailsham, 1950
- Louis Jouvet, 1951
- Bela Lugosi, 1956
- Admiral Bull Halsey, 1959
- Elvis Presley OD, 1977
- John Diefenbaker, 1979
- Amanda Blake AIDS, 1989
- Stewart Granger, 1993
- Oveta Culp Hobby, 1995
- Abu Nidal shot dead (or suicide?), 2002
- Idi Amin Dada, 2003
- Aretha Franklin, 2018
- 1513 - Henry VIII victorious against French in Battle of the Spurs at Guinegate, Flanders.
- 1743 - Champion boxer Jack Broughton formulates first code of rules in Britain.
- 1780 - British defeat Americans at first Battle of Camden (SC). 2,000 dead. Revolutionary War.
- 1819 - Peterloo Massacre takes place at St. Peter's Field, Manchester, England; cavalry charge into protesting crowd killing 11 injuring 500.
- 1825 - Republic of Bolivia proclaimed.
- 1829 - Siamese Twins Chang and Eng arrive in Boston, Mass.
- 1858 - First cable message sent across the Atlantic from Queen Victoria to President James Buchanan.
- 1920 - R.J. Chapman of Cleveland Indians is first, and only, baseball player killed during a game at N.Y.
- 1921 - Times of London exposes antisemitic manifesto 'Protocols of the Elders of Zion' as a forged fraud.
- 1925 - Charlie Chaplin's 'The Gold Rush' opens in N.Y.
- 1985 - Madonna marries Sean Penn.
- 1987 - Northwest Airlines jet crashes in Detroit killing 153; One 4 year-old girl, Cecelia Cichan, survives.
- 2009 - 100th ranked Y. E. Yang of South Korea becomes first Asian player to win a PGA championship beating Tiger Woods.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Cyprus (1960)
- National Day in Liechtenstein
- 2nd Festival of the Palio in Sienna, Italy
- Daimonji Okuribi celebrated in Kyoto (feast of dead)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...