Born On This Day:
- King Gustav V Sweden, 1858
- Lady Ottoline Morrell, 1873
- Stan Laurel, 1890
- Jack Albertson, 1910
- Irving Penn, 1917
- Katherine Graham, 1917
- Eileen Atkins, 1934
- Jim Dine, 1935
- Erich Segal, 1937
- Joyce Carol Oates, 1938
- Billy 'Crash' Craddock, 1939
- Lamont Dozier, 1941
- Joan Van Ark, 1946
- Roberto Duran, 1951
- Phil Mickelson, 1970
- Tupac Shakur, 1971
Died On This Day:
- John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, 1722
- Imre Nagy hanged, 1958
- George Reeves suicide/murder?, 1959
- Mel Allen, 1966
- Wernher von Braun, 1977
- Helmut Kohl, 2017
- AD 632 - Persian Era of Yezdegird III begins.
- 1288 - Share dealings in oldest company recorded-Great Copper Mountain Mining Corp of Falun, Sweden.
- 1755 - Boston troops capture French fort at Nova Scotia.
- 1858 - Abraham Lincoln accepts nomination for Senate saying 'A house divided against itself cannot stand.'
- 1883 - Free admission for women to New York Giant's baseball game inaugurates first Ladies' Day.
- 1890 - Astronomers compute that van Gogh painted his White House at Night this evening at 8:00 p.m.
- 1897 - Great Alaska gold rush begins with news of first discovery at Bonanza Creek.
- 1903 - Pepsi-Cola registered with U.S. Patent office.
- 1903 - Henry Ford forms Ford Motor Company in Detroit with James Couzzens and Dodge Brothers.
- 1922 - Henry Adler Berliner makes first successful helicopter flight at College Park, Md.
- 1930 - Mixed bathing is permitted for the first time in Hyde Park, London.
- 1933 - FDR's "New Deal," pledged last year, opens with bank, rail, industry bills and farm aid initiatives.
- 1963 - Valentina Tereshkova becomes first woman in space.
- 1976 - Student uprisings in township of Soweto, South Africa begin.
- 1987 - Species extinct - last dusky seaside sparrow dies at Walt Disney World.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John Regis
- Cyricus and Julitta
- Tikhon of Amathus
- Bloom's Day celebrated in Dublin Ireland commemorating the day in 1904 in which events of novel 'Ulysses' by James Joyce occurred.
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...