Born On This Day:
- James II of Scotland, 1430
- Noah Webster, 1758
- Oscar Wilde, 1854
- David Ben-Gurion, 1886
- Eugene O'Neill, 1888
- William O. Douglas, 1898
- Kathleen Winsor, 1919
- Linda Darnell, 1921
- Max Bygraves, 1922
- Angela Lansbury, 1925
- Günter Grass, 1927
- Suzanne Somers, 1946
- Manute Bol, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory XIV, 1591
- Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, 1722
- Grigory Potemkin, 1791
- Marie Antoinette guillotined, 1793
- Joachim von Ribbentrop hanged, 1946
- Leonard Chess, 1969
- Leo G. Carroll, 1972
- Hale Boggs killed, 1972
- Gene Krupa, 1973
- Dan Dailey, 1978
- Moshe Dayan, 1981
- Mario Del Monaco, 1982
- Cornel Wilde, 1989
- Art Blakey, 1990
- Shirley Booth, 1992
- James Michener, 1997
- Pierre Salinger, 2004
- Deborah Kerr, 2007
- 1701 - Yale University founded.
- 1813 - Napoleon's major defeat at Battle of Leipzig by Austria, Prussia, Russian & Swedes begins; ends 10/19.
- 1829 - America's first modern hotel opens with bathrooms-the 170 room Tremont House, Boston.
- 1834 - Houses of Parliament burn down in London.
- 1846 - Ether first demonstrated as an anesthetic by dentist Dr. William T.G. Morton in Boston.
- 1847 - Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre' published in England.
- 1859 - Abolitionist John Brown and 21 men seize Harpers Ferry, WV and occupy federal arsenal.
- 1893 - 'Happy Birthday to You' first published by Hill Sisters, Mildred and Patty, in KY.
- 1916 - Margaret Sanger opens first birth control clinic in Brooklyn, NY.
- 1923 - Walter (Walt) Disney and brother Roy Disney found The Disney Brothers Studio to produce shorts.
- 1925 - First weekly radio broadcasts from Britain to continent.
- 1946 - 11 top Nazis hanged and incinerated in Munich crematorium following Nuremberg trials.
- 1956 - 11,000 carat emerald found in northern Transvaal, South Africa by Charles Kempt and J. Botes.
- 1964 - China explodes its first nuclear device becoming 5th nuclear power.
- 1978 - Karol Wojtyla elected Pope; changes name to John Paul II; first non-Italian since 1522 & first Pole.
- 1995 - 400,000 Black men march on Washington in the 'Million Man March' against violence and despair.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Gerard Majella
- World Food Day
- Boss Day in the USA
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...