Born On This Day:
- Inigo Jones, 1573
- Rembrandt, 1606
- Frances X. Cabrini, 1850
- Marie Tempest, 1864
- Iris Murdoch, 1919
- Julian Bream, 1933
- Ken Kercheval, 1935
- Alex Karras, 1935
- Jan-Michael Vincent, 1944
- Sultan of Brunei, 1946
- Linda Ronstadt, 1946
- Jesse Ventura, 1951
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide, 1953
- Forest Whitaker, 1961
Died On This Day:
- King Rudolph I Germany, 1291
- Duke of Monmouth executed, 1685
- Billy the Kid (Henry Bonney) shot, 1881
- General Tom Thumb, 1883
- Anton Chekhov, 1904
- General John Pershing, 1948
- Paul Gallico, 1976
- Eddie Foy Jr., 1983
- Margaret Lockwood, 1990
- Bert Convey, 1991
- Gianni Versace shot, 1997
- Celeste Holm, 2012
- Martin Landau, 2017
- 1099 - Jerusalem captured by the Crusaders after 5 week siege; thousands of Muslims & Jews massacred.
- 1783 - Paddle wheel steamboat first exhibited in France.
- 1806 - Explorer Zebulon Pike begins expedition to explore American Southwest. Nov. 15 finds peak in CO.
- 1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte surrenders to the captain of the HMS Bellerophon.
- 1834 - Inquisition ends in Spain after 600 years of state-sanctioned death for heresy.
- 1857 - 180 women and children murdered by mutinous Indians at Bibigarh following the Siege of Cawnpore.
- 1870 - Franco-Prussian war begins.
- 1904 - America's first Buddhist temple established in Los Angeles.
- 1916 - Boeing Company founded to manufacturing flying machines.
- 1933 - First solo round the world flight takes off piloted by Wiley Post.
- 1953 - Musical comedy film 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' starring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell opens.
- 1954 - Maiden flight of Boeing 707 in Seattle; cruises at 600 mph; can carry 219 passengers.
- 1965 - First close-up photos of another planet, Mars, received on earth from Mariner IV.
- 1968 - First landing of Aeroflot airliner at Kennedy Airport, New York inaugurates U.S. to U.S.S.R. flights.
- 1974 - Macarios government in Cyprus temporarily overthrown.
- 1982 - 4,150 followers of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon are married in mass ceremony at Madison Square Garden.
- 1996 - Prince Charles and Princess Diana divorce final; she receives £17 million and Kensington Palace apts.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Edith of Tamworth
- James of Nisibus
- Vladimir (died 1015 AD)
- Edith of Polesworth
- Henry II
- St. Swithin's Day celebrated
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...