Born On This Day:
- Edvard Grieg, 1843
- Robert Russell Bennett, 1894
- Yuri Andropov, 1914
- Saul Steinberg, 1914
- Alfred Kazin, 1915
- Erroll Garner, 1923
- Mario Cuomo, 1932
- Waylon Jennings, 1937
- Harry Nilsson, 1941
- Xaviera Hollander, 1943
- Simon Callow, 1949
- Jim Varney, 1949
- Jim Belushi, 1954
- Terri Gibbs, 1954
- Wade Boggs, 1958
- Helen Hunt, 1963
- Courtney Cox, 1964
Died On This Day:
- Jean Pilatre de Rozier killed, 1785
- James Knox Polk, 1849
Emperor Frederick III Germany, 1888
- Meredith Willson, 1984
- James Hunt, 1993
- Ella Fitzgerald, 1996
- Robert Whitehead, 2002
- Hume Cronyn, 2003
- Kirk Kerkorian, 2015
- 1215 - Magna Carta, document conceding power, forced from King John by English barons at Runnymede.
- 1571 - Harrow School, England, founded.
- 1667 - King Louis XIV's physician, Dr. Dexter Co., administers the first successful blood transfusion putting sheep's blood into 15 year-old boy, who recovered.
- 1752 - Benjamin Franklin's kite experiment proving electricity demonstrated at 8th & Race, Philly.
- 1775 - George Washington made Commander-in-Chief Continental Army by Second Continental Congress.
- 1785 - de Rozier - first man to fly in hot air Balloon becomes first fatality in aviation history over Channel.
- 1836 - Arkansas becomes 25th state admitted to Union.
- 1844 - Charles Goodyear of New York patents vulcanized rubber.
- 1846 - Oregon treaty between U.S. and Britain sets Oregon's northern boundary at 49th parallel.
- 1858 - Christians massacred at Jedda.
- 1867 - First gallstone operation performed by Dr. John Stough Bobbs in Indianapolis.
- 1877 - First Black person graduates from West Point - Henry O. Flipper.
- 1894 - America's first commercial museum organized in Philadelphia.
- 1904 - More than 1,000 die when fire erupts aboard the steamboat General Slocum in NYC's East River.
- 1909 - Cork centered baseball patented by inventor Benjamin F. Shibe of Bala, PA.
- 1919 - First non-stop transatlantic flight lands in Clifden Ireland.
- 1924 - Ford Motor Company manufactures ten millionth car.
- 1944 - First flying bomb attacks on London.
- 1945 - Charter of the United Nations completed.
- 1956 - Future Beatles John Lennon age 16 meets Paul McCartney,14, at Woolton Paris Church, Liverpool.
- 1991 - Mt. Pinatubu volcano erupts for 9 hours in Philippine Islands; biggest eruption of the 20th Century with 200 dead and 100,000 homeless..
- 2007 - London lawyer Lewis Pugh swims a mile in melted Arctic icewater for 19 minutes at the Geographic North Pole.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Germaine of Pibrac
- Edburga of Winchester
- Sanno Matsuri Shinto festival in Japan celebrated in Tokyo
- Grieg's birthday celebrated in Norway
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...