Born On This Day:
- Virgil, 70 BC
- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1844
- John L. Sullivan, 1858
- Marie Stopes, 1880
- P. G. Wodehouse, 1881
- Ina Claire, 1892
- Mervyn LeRoy, 1900
- C. P. Snow, 1905
- John Kenneth Galbraith, 1908
- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., 1917
- Mario Puzo, 1920
- Lee Iacocca, 1924
- Jean Peters, 1926
- Linda Lavin, 1939
- Penny Marshall, 1943
- Richard Carpenter, 1945
- Roscoe Tanner, 1951
- Emeril Lagasse, 1959
- Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York, 1959
Died On This Day:
- Mata Hari executed, 1917
- Dame Marie Tempest, 1942
- Hermann Goering suicide, 1946
- Cole Porter, 1964
- Carlo Gambino, 1976
- Ladislas Farago, 1980
- Pat O'Brien, 1983
- 1581 - First ballet de cour at Catherine de' Medici's court in France entitled 'Le Ballet comique de la Reine.'
- 1582 - Gregorian calendar introduced to Spain/Portugal by Pope Gregory XIII. (Calendar advanced 10 days)
- 1764 - In Rome, Edward Gibbon sits amidst Capitol ruins and gets idea to write his 'Decline and Fall...'
- 1783 - Jean Pilatre de Rozier becomes first man to leave earth in a balloon.
- 1839 - Queen Victoria proposes marriage to Prince Albert.
- 1878 - Edison Electric Company becomes America's first electric co. in New York City.
- 1881 - The American Angler, first fishing magazine, issued.
- 1894 - Alfred Dreyfus arrested on treason charge in France.
- 1928 - Graf Zeppelin completes first transatlantic flight landing in New Jersey.
- 1951 - 'I Love Lucy' premieres on CBS Television starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
- 1953 - Pulitzer-prize winning 'Teahouse of the August Moon' starts 1,027 performance run in NY.
- 1965 - Anti-Vietnam war demonstrations in U.S. major cities start; draft card burning.
- 1990 - Racial discrimination in parks, libraries, and other public places becomes illegal in South Africa.
- 1991 - Judge Clarence Thomas confirmed as second black to become Supreme Court Associate Justice.
- 1997 - Official supersonic land-speed record broken by Andy Green driving jet British Thrust; 762 mph.
- 1998 - British land-speed record broken by Richard Brown of 216.55 mph on rocket powered motorcycle.
- 2008 - Dow Jones falls 733 points (7.9%) to 8,577, 2nd largest daily point loss ever behind 777 point loss 9/29.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Teresa of Avila
- Thecia of Kitzingen
- Euthymius the Younger
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...