Born On This Day:
- Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1811
- John Bartlett, 1820
- Alois Alzheimer, 1864
- Major Bowes, 1874
- Margaret Bourke-White, 1904
- Burl Ives, 1909
- Lash LaRue, 1917
- Dorothy Mcguire, 1918
- Pierre Salinger, 1925
- Che Guevara, 1928
- Cy Coleman, 1929
- Jerzy Kosinski, 1933
- Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, 1934
- Rod Argent, 1945
- Marla Gibbs, 1946
- Donald Trump, 1946
- Sir Antony Sher, 1949
- Boy George, 1961
- Steffi Graf, 1969
- Lang Lang, 1982
Died On This Day:
- Benedict Arnold, 1801
- Adlai E. Stevenson Sr., 1914
- Mary Cassatt, 1926
- Jerome K. Jerome, 1927
- Emmeline Pankhurst, 1928
- G. K. Chesterton, 1936
- Maxim Gorky, 1936
- Major Bowes, 1946
- John Logie Baird, 1946
- Jorge Luis Borges, 1986
- Alan Jay Lerner, 1986
- Marlin Perkins, 1986
- Dame Peggy Ashcroft, 1991
- Henry Mancini, 1994
- Kurt Waldheim, 2007
- 1381 - Rebels of the Peasants' Revolt under Wat Tyler behead Archbishop of Canterbury in Tower of London.
- 1645 - Battle of Naseby (near Northamptonshire) - decisive battle of the first English Civil War; King Charles I army destroyed by Parliamentarians under Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell.
- 1648 - First U.S. Witchcraft trial: Margaret Jones of Charlestown, Mass. hanged for being a witch.
- 1658 - French triumph over Spanish at Battle of Dunes (Dunkirk).
- 1775 - U.S. Army founded.
- 1777 - Stars and Stripes becomes official flag of U.S. in resolution passed by Continental Congress.
- 1800 - Victory of Napoleon over Austrians at Battle of Marengo
- 1807 - Napoleon victorious over Russians in Battle of Friedland.
- 1834 - Diving suit patented by Leonard Norcross of Dixfield ME.
- 1846 - Settlers at Sonoma proclaim the republic of California, a prelude to U.S. annexation of territory.
- 1873 - Discovery of the ruins of Troy by Heinrich Schliemann.
- 1881 - Player Piano patented by John McTammany Jr. of Cambridge, Mass.
- 1900 - Hawaiian Islands constituted U.S. territory.
- 1907 - Female suffrage in Norway; 300,000 women now eligible to vote as long as taxes have been paid.
- 1919 - First non-stop transatlantic flight by Alcock and Brown takes off from St. Johns Newfoundland.
- 1922 - Warren Harding becomes first president to be heard on radio - dedicates Francis Scott Key Memorial.
- 1938 - Chlorophyll patented by Dr. Benjamin Gruskin of Philadelphia.
- 1940 - German Army enters Paris.
- 1940 - Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in Poland begins extermination of Jews in gas chambers.
- 1942 - General Electric Co of Bridgeport, CT produces the first bazooka rocket gun.
- 1951 - Univac 1, successor to ENIAC computer, goes into service at the US Bureau of the Census, Philly.
- 1957 - Elvis Presley has first number one hit in Britain - All Shook Up.
- 1958 - French forces withdraw from Morocco.
- 1964 - World record tiger shark weighing 1,780 lbs. caught off Cherry Grove, SC by angler Walter Maxwell.
- 1982 - Argentine governor surrenders to British in short Battle of Falkland Islands.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Methodius of Constantinople
- Basil the Great
- Flag Day in U. S. (since 1916)
- Day of Amaterasu-Japanese Sun Goddess
- California Republic Day
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...