Born On This Day:
- King James II of England, 1633
- William Penn, 1644
- King Ferdinand VII Spain, 1784
- Katherine Mansfield, 1888
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1890
- Lillian Gish, 1893
- e.e.cummings, 1894
- Eugene Fodor, 1905
- Hannah Arendt, 1906
- C. Everett Koop, 1916
- Roger Moore, 1927
- Mobutu Sese Seko, 1930
- John Dean, 1938
- Ralph Lauren, 1939
- Cliff Richard, 1940
- Craig Venter, 1946
- Justin Hayward, 1946
- Harry Anderson, 1949
- Greg Evigan, 1953
- Thomas Keller, 1955
- Thomas Dolby, 1958
Died On This Day:
- King Harold II killed, 1066
- Josh Billings, 1885
- Erwin Rommel suicide, 1944
- Errol Flynn, 1959
- Dame Edith Evans, 1976
- Bing Crosby, 1977
- Keenan Wynn, 1986
- Leonard Bernstein, 1990
- Harold Robbins, 1997
- Cleveland Amory, 1998
- Julius Nyerere, 1999
- Freddy Fender, 2006
- 1066 - Battle of Hastings-Normans under William I (Conqueror) beat English under Harold II in Sussex.
- 1663 - Gentile Samuel Pepys visits London synagogue and reports Jews said prayer for King Charles II who let them back in country in June, 1656.
- 1806 - Victory of French under Napoleon over Prussians in Battle of Jena and Auerstadt.
- 1834 - Henry Blair of Glenross, MD. receives patent on corn planter. First Black man to get patent.
- 1912 - Teddy Roosevelt target of unsuccessful assassination attempt; shot at short range in Milwaukee, WI.
- 1916 - Long Jim Barnes of Philly is first to win PGA (Professional Golfers Assn) tournament.
- 1918 - Thomas Masaryk becomes president of Czechoslovakia.
- 1926 - 'Winnie the Pooh' first published.
- 1947 - Chuck Yeager breaks sound barrier in a Bell X-1 U.S. Army rocket plane at Edwards AFB.
- 1955 - Province of West Pakistan established.
- 1961 - 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' starts 1,417 performance run in NY.
- 1964 - Martin Luther King awarded Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1974 - United Nations recognizes Palestine Liberation Organization.
- 1982 - 5,837 couples get married in mass marriage in Seoul, South Korea.
- 2009 - Rev. Sun Myung Moon, 89, of the Unification Church marries ten thousand couples from more than 100 countries in Seoul, South Korea
- 2012 - Austrian daredevil Felix Baumgartner, 43, falls to earth from 24 miles high; first human to break sound barrier.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Justus of Lyon
- Callistus I
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...