Born On This Day:
- General Winfield Scott, 1785
- William Butler Yeats, 1865
- Elizabeth Schumann, 1885
- Basil Rathbone, 1892
- Dorothy Sayers, 1893
- Mark Van Doren, 1894
- Harold 'Red' Grange, 1903
- Ralph Edwards, 1913
- Don Budge, 1915
- Ben Johnson, 1918
- Paul Lynde, 1926
- Christo, 1935
- Malcolm McDowell, 1943
- Richard Thomas, 1951
- Tim Allen, 1953
- Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, 1986
Died On This Day:
- Alexander the Great, 323 BC
- St. Antony of Padua, 1231
- Robert Houdin, 1871
- Mad King Ludwig II Bavaria (suicide/murder?), 1886
- Martin Buber, 1965
- Clyde McPhatter, 1972
- Tom C. Clark, 1977
- Benny Goodman, 1986
- Geraldine Page, 1987
- Fran Allison, 1989
- Jimmy Dean, 2010
- 1798 - Mission San Luis Rey founded in California for Indians.
- 1842 - Queen Victoria becomes first British monarch to travel by train; journeys from Slough to Paddington.
- 1884 - First roller coaster opens at Coney Island, New York invented and built by LaMarcus Thompson.
- 1900 - Boxer uprising in China against Europeans begins.
- 1902 - 3M (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing) founded by five businessmen; now has 50,000 products.
- 1910 - First round-trip airline flight in U.S. between New York City and Philadelphia.
- 1933 - Home Owners Loan Act passed authorizing establishment of the Federal Savings and Loan Association.
- 1935 - Great upset in boxing history as James Braddock comes out of retirement to beat Max Baer in NY.
- 1944 - First flying V1 flying bomb -the buzz bomb- hits London...hard!
- 1944 - Marvin Camras of Chicago receives patent on wire recorder.
- 1964 - Nelson Mandela begins life sentence on Robben Island.
- 1966 - Miranda decision by Supreme court requires policemen to advise criminals of rights.
- 1967 - Thurgood Marshall is first Black person appointed Associate Justice of Supreme Court.
- 1983 - Pioneer 10 crosses orbit of Neptune thereby becoming first manmade object to leave solar system.
- 1991 - Copy of Declaration of Independence printed July 4, 1776 sold for $2.42 million at Sotheby's, N.Y.
- 2002 - Asteroid large enough to obliterate London passes earth at only 75,000 miles-2nd closest miss ever.
- 2005 - Michael Jackson found innocent of child molestation charges and conspiracy in Santa Maria, CA.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Antony of Padua (died today in 1231)
- Holiday in Lisbon celebrating St. Antony's Day
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...