Born On This Day:
- Charles Kingsley, 1819
- Sir Anthony Eden, 1897
- Uta Hagen, 1919
- George Herbert Walker Bush, 1924
- Vic Damone, 1928
- Anne Frank, 1929
- Rona Jaffe, 1932
- Jim Nabors, 1932
- Chick Corea, 1941
- Marv Albert, 1943
- Ally Sheedy, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Pope St. Leo III, AD 816
- William Cullen Bryant, 1878
- Karl Kraus, 1936
- Jimmy Dorsey, 1957
- Medgar Evers shot, 1963
- Edmund Wilson, 1972
- Milburn Stone, 1980
- Norma Shearer, 1983
- Nicole Simpson murdered, 1994
- Rabbi Menachem Schneerson, 1994
- Bill Blass, 2002
- Gregory Peck, 2003
- 1458 - Magdalen College, Oxford, founded.
- 1798 - French forces take Malta.
- 1839 - Traditional date of invention of baseball by Abner Doubleday.
- 1849 - The Gas Mask patented by inventor Lewis Phectic Haslett of Louisville, KY.
- 1897 - Most of Assam in Northern India destroyed in 8.7 earthquake; 1,500 dead.
- 1897 - Swiss Army Knife patented by Karl Elsener, son of a Swiss hatmaker.
- 1930 - Max Schmeling wins Heavyweight boxing title when Jack Sharkey knocks him out with low blow.
- 1931 - Al Capone and 68 others indicted on 5,000 offenses against Prohibition law.
- 1934 - Political parties banned in Bulgaria.
- 1937 - Joseph Stalin executes 8 Soviet generals for treason; Pravda calls them 'Fascist reptiles.'
- 1939 - Baseball Hall of Fame dedicated at Cooperstown, NY; Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Babe Ruth etc. inducted.
- 1964 - Nelson Mandela and eight others sentenced to life imprisonment for conspiracy to overthrow govt.
- 1967 - Supreme Court passes Living v. Virginia which makes State laws against interracial marriage illegal.
- 1979 - First man-powered aircraft to cross the English Channel pedalled for 2 hours 49 minutes by Bryan Allen.
- 1991 - Leningrad voters rename city St. Petersburg; symbolic last blow to Communism in Russia.
- 1994 - Football star O.J. Simpson charged with double murder of wife and friend in Brentwood, Los Angeles.
- 2016 - 2:00 a.m. - largest mass shooting in US history at Orlando FL gay nightclub; Gunman Omar Mateen slays 49 and wounds 53.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John of Sahagun
- Leo III (died today A.D. 816)
- Onuphrius Hemphrey
- Independence Day in Philippines (1898)
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...