Born On This Day:
- Erasmus Darwin, 1731
- John Jay, 1745
- Gustave Flaubert, 1821
- Edvard Munch, 1863
- Edward G. Robinson, 1893
- Frank Sinatra, 1915
- Curt Jurgens, 1915
- Joe Williams, 1918
- Mayor Ed Koch, 1924
- John Osborne, 1929
- Connie Francis, 1938
- Dionne Warwick, 1940
- Grover Washington, 1943
- Paul Rodgers, 1949
- Cathy Rigby, 1952
Died On This Day:
- Aelim II Sultan of Turkey, 1574
- Sir Marc Isambard Brunel, 1849
- Robert Browning, 1889
- John Wanamaker, 1922
- Douglas Fairbanks Sr., 1939
- Tallulah Bankhead, 1968
- David Sarnoff, 1971
- Lady Spencer-Churchill, 1977
- Anne Baxter, 1985
- Vance Packard, 1996
- Joseph Heller, 1999
- George Montgomery, 2000
- Richard Pryor, 2005
- Eugene McCarthy, 2005
- Peter Boyle, 2006
- Ike Turner, 2007
- Van Johnson, 2008
- AD 627 - After 6 years of war, Byzantine Emperor Heraclius beats Persian army at Nineveh in final battle.
- 1787 - Pennsylvania admitted to Union.
- 1804 - Spain declares war on Britain at France's instigation.
- 1870 - Joseph Hayne Rainey of South Carolina becomes first black person to serve in US House of Reps.
- 1872 - Labrador Duck species becomes extinct; hunter shoots last one over Long Island, New York.
- 1896 - Marconi gives first public demonstration of radio at Toynbee Hall, London.
- 1901 - Marconi receives first transatlantic radio signal from UK to Canada; antennas held aloft by kites.
- 1925 - America's first motel opens for business in San Luis Obispo.
- 1929 - George Gershwin first conducts 'An American in Paris' at Carnegie Hall.
- 1955 - Hovercraft patented by Sir Christopher Cockerell.
- 1955 - Ford Foundation gives $1/2 billion to colleges and medical institutions; world's largest philanthropy.
- 1963 - Jomo Kenyatta becomes Prime Minister of Kenya.
- 1980 - Leonardo Da Vinci notebook sold for $5. million.
- 1988 - Three Van Gogh paintings valued at $60 million stolen from Otterlo Museum in The Netherlands.
- 2008 - $50 billion Ponzi scheme, biggest in history, revealed in New York as Bernard Madoff arrested.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Edburga of Minster
- Finnian of Clonard
- Independence Day (Jamhuri) Kenya (1964), Libya (1951)
- Day of patron saint Our Lady of Guadalupe celebrated in Mexico
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...