Born On This Day:
- King Edward VI, 1537
- Helena Modjeska, 1840
- Ramsay MacDonald, 1866
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872
- Aleister Crowley, 1875
- Alice Childress, 1916
- Dick Gregory, 1932
- Luciano Pavarotti, 1935
- Susan Anton, 1950
- Adam Rich, 1968
- Kirk Cameron, 1970
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Maximilian II, 1576
- Robert Stephenson, 1859
- General Robert E. Lee, 1870
- Edith Cavell executed, 1915
- Anatole France, 1924
- Tom Mix killed, 1940
- Sonja Henie, 1969
- Gene Vincent, 1971
- Dean Acheson, 1971
- Alf Landon, 1987
- Ken Murray, 1988
- René Lacoste, 1996
- John Denver killed, 1997
- Wilt Chamberlain, 1999
- Ray Conniff, 2002
- Willie Shoemaker, 2003
- 1492 - Columbus discovers America; well, sailor on Pinta spots Bahamas at 2 a.m.
- 1609 - 'Three Blind Mice' published by London teenage songwriter Thomas Ravenscroft.
- 1681 - London woman publicly flogged for the crime of 'involving herself in politics.'
- 1773 - America's first insane asylum opens for 'Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds' in VA.
- 1792 - First celebration of Columbus Day in America held in New York.
- 1822 - Brazil becomes formally independent of Portugal; Don Pedro proclaimed emperor.
- 1899 - Anglo Boer War begins at Cape Province, Mafeking.
- 1928 - Iron lung respirator first used at Children's Hospital, Boston.
- 1944 - 30,000 girls riot in New York in front of Paramount Theatre for Frank Sinatra tickets.
- 1948 - First Morris Minor car in Britain produced at Cowley, Oxfordshire - designed by Alec Issigonis.
- 1953 - 'The Caine Mutiny Court Martial' opens at Plymouth Theatre, N.Y.
- 1983 - Japan's ex Prime Minister found guilty of taking a $2 million bribe from Lockheed.
- 1984 - Margaret Thatcher survives IRA assassination attempt; 5 killed.
- 2000 - Yemini Al Queda suicide bombers explode bomb at USS Cole in Aden Harbor; 17 sailors dead.
- 2002 - Terrorists bomb Bali Nightclub in Kuta Beach - 200+ dead.
- 2007 - World record for a Chinese contemporary artist - Yue Minjun's work sells for $5.9 million at Sotheby's London.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Wilfrid of York
- Felix and Cyprian
- Maximilian of Lorch
- Ethelburga of Barking
- Columbus Day in the US
- Independence Day Equatorial Guinea (1968)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...