Born On This Day:
- Ben Jonson, 1572
- John Constable, 1776
- Dame Millicent Garrett Fawcett, 1847
- Richard Strauss, 1864
- Jeannette Rankin, 1880
- Jacques Cousteau, 1910
- Vince Lombardi, 1913
- Risë Stevens, 1913
- Michael Cacoyannis, 1922
- William Styron, 1925
- Athol Fugard, 1932
- Gene Wilder, 1934
- Chad Everett, 1937
- Jackie Stewart, 1939
- Adrienne Barbeau, 1945
- Joe Montana, 1956
- Hugh Laurie, 1959
Died On This Day:
- James III Scotland killed, 1488
- Prince Matternich, 1859
- King Alexander/Queen Draga of Serbia murdered, 1903
- Henry Clay Folger, 1930
- John L. Lewis, 1969
- John Wayne, 1979
- Ray Sharkey AIDS, 1993
- DeForest Kelley, 1999
- Jerry Sterner, 2001
- Timothy McVeigh executed, 2001
- David Brinkley, 2003
- 1509 - King Henry VIII marries Catherine of Aragon, the first of six wives and mother of future Queen Mary.
- 1895 - First U.S. patent on car powered by gasoline granted to Charles E. Duryea.
- 1895 - World's first internationally recognized car race begins (Paris to Bordeaux and back, 732 miles); Emile Levassor of France wins; 20 cars start, nine finish.
- 1935 - Alcoholics Anonymous founded by Doctor Bob and Bill W., a New York stockbroker, in Akron, Ohio.
- 1936 - Presbyterian Church of America formed at meeting in Philadelphia.
- 1942 - US and USSR sign lend lease agreement to aid Soviet war effort in WWII.
- 1955 - 82 die, 100 injured in worst Le Mans car crash ever - Mercedes driven by Pierre Levegh into crowd.
- 1963 - Governor George Wallace thwarted by National Guard Troops; University of Alabama desegregated.
- 1975 - First oil pumped ashore from Britain's north sea oil fields.
- 1982 - 'E.T. The Extraterrestrial,' directed by Steven Spielbert, opens across America; film will go on to sell $715m. worth of tickets.
- 1993 - 'Jurassic Park,' directed by Steven Spielberg, opens to biggest movie business in history.
- 2001 - Timothy McVeigh is first Federal prisoner to be executed in US since 1963 for bombing in Oklahoma in which 168 died.
- 2004 - State funeral for Ronald Reagan is first for US President since LBJ in 1973. Nixon passed on honor.
Feast Day of Saint:
- King Kamehameha Day celebrated in Hawaii
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...