Born On This Day:
- Pope Gregory XIV, 1535
- Bernard Fontenelle, 1657
- Thomas Alva Edison, 1847
- Max Baer, 1909
- Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1909
- Sidney Sheldon, 1917
- King Farouk, 1920
- Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, 1921
- Eva Gabor, 1921
- Leslie Nielsen, 1926
- Paul Bocuse, 1926
- Tina Louise, 1934
- Mary Quant, 1934
- Manuel Noriega, 1935
- Gene Vincent, 1935
- Burt Reynolds, 1936
- Sergio Mendes, 1941
- Jeb Bush, 1953
- Sarah Palin, 1964
- Jennifer Aniston, 1969
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory II, AD 731
- Saint/Pope Paschal I, AD 824
- DeWitt Clinton, 1828
- Honoré Daumier, 1879
- Sergei Eisenstein, 1948
- Sylvia Plath suicide, 1963
- Howard Lindsay, 1968
- Lee J. Cobb, 1976
- Eleanor Powell, 1982
- Victor Jory, 1982
- Frank Herbert, 1986
- William Conrad, 1994
- Roger Vadim, 2000
- Peter Benchley, 2006
- Alexander McQueen suicide, 2010
- Whitney Houston, 2012
- Vic Damone, 2018
- 660 BC - Jimmu Tenno, first Emperor of Japan ascends throne.
- 1542 - English parliament passes bill-treason for unchaste woman to marry king; Catherine Howard to die.
- 1752 - First hospital in America opens in Philadelphia.
- 1798 - French take Rome.
- 1826 - University College London is founded as the University of London.
- 1852 - A week after the first 'gents' public toilet opens in Fleet Street, one for 'ladies' opens at 51 Bedford St., Strand, London.
- 1858 - First miracle at Lourdes-Vision of Virgin Mary sighted at Lourdes by Bernadette Soubirous.
- 1926 - 4th performance of Sean O'Casey's 'Plough and the Stars' at Abbey Theatre Dublin causes riot.
- 1929 - Vatican City created as an independent sovereign state within the city of Rome, Italy.
- 1945 - Yalta Conference ends setting the stage for European change following WWII.
- 1962 - First recording session in England for new band-The Beatles; 'Please Please Me' recorded in 1 day.
- 1965 - First bombing raids by joint US and South Vietnam forces on North Vietnam.
- 1975 - Conservative Party in Britain elects first woman leader; Margaret Thatcher defeats Edward Heath.
- 1979 - Followers of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini seize power in Iran.
- 1990 - Nelson Mandela freed by South African President Frederik de Klerk after 27 years in prison.
- 1993 - Queen Elizabeth II, the world's richest woman, agrees to become first monarch to pay income taxes.
- 2001 - Ellen MacArthur becomes fastest woman to circumnavigate globe alone in her yacht Kingfisher.
- 2006 - World airplane distance record broken by Steve Fossett - 26,389 miles in 76 hours.
- 2011 - Following 18 days of protests by Egyptians, President Hosni Mubarak finally steps down; largest Arab protest in history; military takes power.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Gabnet (Celtic virgin)
- Benedict of Aniane
- Independence Day Vatican City (1929)
- Revolution Day in Iran (1979)
- National Foundation Day in Japan
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- PRESIDENT'S DAY 3rd Monday in February observing births of Washington & Lincoln
- SHROVE TUESDAY (or Fat Tuesday). Day before Ash Wednesday. Also called Fasnacht (eve of the fast) in Germany and Austria, Carnival (farewell to meat) in Italy, Mardi Gras in Brazil and U.S., Street Urchins' Carnival in Denmark & Pancake Tuesday in Britain.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, moveable feast day celebrated 40 days (ex-Sundays) before Easter.
- PURIM or Feast of Lots (Jewish), celebrated on 14th or 15th of lunar month Adar.
- HOLI (Hindu festival of Spring and Vernal Fire)
- HOLA MOHALLA, Sikh Festival celebrated in India
- LENT, called Careme in France, Quaresima in Italy and the Great Fast in Eastern Orthodoxy. (between Feb and April)
- SUNDAY OF THE GREAT FIRES, first Sunday in Lent.
- CARLING SUNDAY, fifth Sunday in Lent celebrated in Britain
- MAHA SHIVARATRI, Hindu Festival of the Night of Shiva, celebrated mid-February
- TENG CHIEH, Feast of lanterns in China (Fifteenth day of the First Moon)
- CHINESE NEW YEAR celebrated all over the world in February
- SUPER BOWL SUNDAY - first Sunday in February from 2004
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...