Born On This Day:
- H. J. Heinz, 1844
- Jacob Epstein, 1880
- Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884
- Willie Hoppe, 1887
- Nathan Twining, 1897
- Joseph Alsop, 1910
- Jerome Robbins, 1918
- Art Blakey, 1919
- Elmore Leonard, 1925
- Dottie West, 1932
- Bobby Charlton, 1937
- Ron Liebman, 1944
- Daryl Hall, 1946
- Joan Cusack, 1962
- Luke Perry, 1966
- Orlando Hernandez, 1969
- Alexander Wolfson, 1978
Died On This Day:
- Meriwether Lewis suicide, 1809
- Anton Bruckner, 1896
- Chico Marx, 1961
- Edith Piaf, 1963
- Jean Cocteau, 1963
- Trader Vic (Bergeron), 1984
- Redd Foxx, 1991
- 1521 - Pope confers on Henry VIII title of 'Defender of the faith' thanks to Hank's denunciation of Martin Luther.
- 1727 - Coronation of King George II in Westminster Abbey; Archbishop of Canterbury cancels Handel anthem.
- 1730 - City of Baltimore founded.
- 1737 - Earthquake in Calcutta, India, kills 300,000.
- 1776 - Americans under Gen. Benedict Arnold beat by British in naval battles on Lake Champlain.
- 1797 - British Navy defeats Dutch fleet in Battle of Camperdown.
- 1811 - World's first steam-powered ferry starts run between New York City and Hoboken, NJ.
- 1871 - Great Chicago fire ends with 300 dead, 17,500 buildings destroyed, 100,000 homeless.
- 1881 - David Henderson Houston of Cambria, Wisconsin receives patent on roll film for cameras.
- 1887 - Adding machine patented by Eugene Felt, Chicago, who called it a 'comptmeter.'
- 1890 - D.A.R., Daughters of the American Revolution, founded.
- 1910 - Theodore Roosevelt becomes first President to fly in airplane for four minutes over St. Louis.
- 1919 - First in-flight meal, a box lunch, served on flight from London to Paris.
- 1936 - First U.S. radio quiz show ('Professor Quiz') premieres on CBS Radio; Canadians one year earlier.
- 1938 - Fiberglass patented under generic name 'glass wool.'
- 1968 - Apollo 7, first manned Apollo mission, launched with Schirra, Eisele and Cunningham aboard.
- 1975 - 'Saturday Night Live' premieres on NBC TV with comics John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Canice (or Cainnech)
- Alexander Sauli
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...