Born On This Day:
- Pope Julius III, 1487
- Franz Werfel, 1890
- Elsa Schiaparelli, 1896
- Cyril Connolly, 1903
- Robert Wise, 1914
- Edmund O'Brien, 1915
- Beryl Cook, 1926
- Arnold Palmer, 1929
- Charles Kuralt, 1934
- Roger Maris, 1934
- Stephen Jay Gould, 1941
- Jose Feliciano, 1945
- Amy Irving, 1953
- Colin Firth, 1960
- Guy Ritchie, 1968
Died On This Day:
- King Louis IV France, AD 954
- King Louis the Great of Hungary, 1382
- Salvatore Maranzano, 1931
- Huey Long assassinated, 1935
- Leo Carillo, 1961
- Bella Darvi suicide, 1971
- Dalton Trumbo, 1976
- Johannes Vorster, 1983
- Burgess Meredith, 1997
- Cliff Robertson, 2011
- 1547 - Victory of English over Scots at Battle of Pinkie, Musselburgh; 10,000 dead Scots.
- 1813 - Victory of American Navy under Capt. Oliver Perry over British at Lake Erie.
- 1846 - Sewing machine patented by Elias Howe of Spencer, Massachusetts.
- 1849 - Actor Edwin Booth makes first professional theatre appearance in Richard III at Boston Museum.
- 1869 - The rickshaw invented in Yokohama, Japan by a Baptist minister.
- 1897 - World's first conviction for drunk driving in London.
- 1910 - Great fire of Idaho destroys three million acres of timber.
- 1913 - Lincoln Highway proclaimed open-first coast-to-coast paved road.
- 1919 - Gen. John J. Pershing and 25,000 Div. 1 troops march triumphantly in New York City at end of WW1.
- 1927 - First Davis Cup of tennis won by the French.
- 1950 - Joe Dimaggio becomes first baseball player to hit three home runs in one game at Griffith Stadium.
- 1953 - First 'TV Dinner' goes on sale by the Swanson company.
- 1974 - Buinea-Bissau becomes independent of Portugal.
- 1977 - Last person to be executed by guillotine in France is murderer Hamida Djandoubi at Baumettes Prison in Marseille.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Finnian of Moville
- Aubert of Avranches
- Nicholas of Tolentino
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...