Born On This Day:
- Thomas Holcroft, 1745
- César Franck, 1822
- Emily Dickinson, 1830
- Winthrop Sargeant, 1903
- Una Merkel, 1903
- Morton Gould, 1913
- Dorothy Lamour, 1914
- Dennis Morgan, 1920
- Harold Gould, 1923
- Gloria Loring, 1947
- Susan Dey, 1952
- Kenneth Branagh, 1960
Died On This Day:
- King Leopold I Belgians, 1865
- Alfred Nobel, 1896
- Red Cloud Chief of the Sioux, 1909
- Luigi Pirandello, 1936
- Damon Runyon, 1946
- Otis Redding killed, 1967
- Mark Van Doren, 1972
- Jascha Heifetz, 1987
- Armand Hammer, 1990
- Augusto Pinochet, 2006
- 1496 - Portugal issues expulsion order to remove all Jews from country within ten months.
- 1508 - League of Cambrai formed to rally against Venetian power.
- 1817 - Mississippi 20th state admitted to Union.
- 1845 - English patent received by Scottish inventor Robert Thompson on pneumatic tires or tyres as he would have spelled it.
- 1868 - World's first traffic lights go into service in Parliament Square, London invented by J.P. Knight.
- 1869 - Wyoming becomes first territory to allow women the right to vote and hold office.
- 1884 - Porfirio Diaz becomes President of Mexico.
- 1898 - Treaty of Paris ends Spanish American War; Cuba independent; PR, Guam, Philippines to U.S.
- 1901 - Sweden awards first Nobel Prizes; Winners-Roentgen (physics), Behring (medicine) Prudhomme (Lit)
- 1902 - Aswam dam completed and opened.
- 1903 - Marie Curie becomes first woman to win Nobel Prize as she and husband Pierre get physics honors.
- 1911 - Marie Curie becomes first person to win 2nd Nobel (shared) for discovery of radium & polonium.
- 1915 - Ford Motor Company produces one millionth car in Detroit.
- 1936 - King Edward VII submits his abdication, and the next day it was endorsed by Parliament.
- 1948 - Declaration of Human Rights issued by United Nations General Assembly.
- 1950 - Ralph Bunche is first Black to win Nobel Peace Prize for mediations between Israel and Arabs.
- 1962 - Dr. Linus Pauling becomes first individual to solely win second Nobel prize (Peace - Curie's was shared); he won Chemistry 1954.
- 1984 - Natl Science Foundation reports discovery of first planet outside solar system 21m light years away
- 1986 - Rembrandt's 'Portrait of Young Girl Wearing Gold-Trimmed Coat' sells for $10.3 million.
- 1991 - First US Web page (and Web server) launched by particle physicist Paul Kunz at Stanford, Palo Alto.
- 2002 - Jimmy Carter wins Nobel Peace Prize.
- 2013 - Mary T Barra named Chief Executive of General Motors; first woman in the world to head major auto company.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Human Rights Day celebrates the formation of the United Nations in 1948
- Constitution Day in Thailand
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...