Born On This Day:
- Ethan Allen, 1738
- Francis X. Bushman, 1883
- Robinson Jeffers, 1887
- Dame Barbara Hepworth, 1903
- Ray Bolger, 1904
- Paul Henried, 1908
- Roy Disney, 1930
- Sal Mineo, 1939
- Jim Croce, 1943
- Rod Stewart, 1945
- Linda Lovelace, 1949
- Pat Benetar, 1952
Died On This Day:
- Pope Gregory X, 1276
- Archbishop of Canterbury William Laud beheaded, 1645
- Carl Linnaeus, 1778
- Samuel Colt, 1862
- Buffalo Bill Cody, 1917
- Sinclair Lewis, 1951
- Dashiell Hammett, 1961
- Coco Chanel, 1971
- George Meany, 1980
- Richard Boone, 1981
- Paul Lynde, 1982
- Brian Moore, 1999
- Spalding Gray goes missing/suicide, 2004
- Sir Edmund Hillary, 2008
- Margaret Whiting, 2011
- Mikhail Kalashnikov, 2014
- David Bowie, 2016
- Buddy Greco, 2017
- 1535 - Francisco Pizarro founds La Ciudad des Los Reyes (City of Kings) later known as Lima, Peru.
- 1776 - Thomas Paine publishes 'Common Sense.' One out of four Americans reads it.
- 1839 - First shipments of tea from India first arrive in Britain.
- 1840 - First adhesive stamp in the world issued-Penny Post in England (but stamps not available until 6 May)
- 1863 - London underground railway inaugurated; first trains run from Farringdon St. to Paddington.
- 1870 - Standard Oil of Ohio founded by William and John D. Rockefeller.
- 1890 - Cleopatra's tomb discovered.
- 1901 - Greatest oil strike in history at Spindletop well in Beaumont, Texas at 10:30 a.m.
- 1911 - First aerial photograph from an airplane taken by Major Jimmie Erickson over San Diego.
- 1941 - 'Arsenic and Old Lace' starts 1444 performance run in N.Y.
- 1946 - First U.N. General Assembly held in London.
- 1956 - Elvis Presley records 'Heartbreak Hotel' in Nashville.
- 1969 - Last issue of the Saturday Evening Post published after 141 years.
- 2011 - Basque separatist group ETA calls for permanent ceasefire; the one on 3/22/06 ended with a deadly bomb attack at Madrid airport.
Feast Day of Saint:
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...