Born On This Day:
- Madame Tussaud, 1761
- Queen Alexandra, 1844
- Rex Stout, 1886
- Cyril Ritchard, 1898
- Dame Alicia Markova, 1910
- Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, 1912
- Mary Martin, 1913
- Woody Allen, 1935
- Lou Rawls, 1936
- Lee Trevino, 1939
- Richard Pryor, 1940
- Bette Midler, 1944
- Charlene Tilton, 1958
- Toni Collette, 1972
Died On This Day:
- King Henry I, 1135
- Pope Leo X, 1521
- Czar Alexander I Russia, 1825
- Aleister Crowley, 1947
- David Ben-Gurion, 1973
- Horace Heidt, 1986
- Alvin Ailey, Jr., 1989
- Stéphane Grappelli, 1997
- Charlie Byrd, 1999
- Clark Kerr, 2003
- 1822 - Franz Liszt, age 11, makes piano debut in Vienna.
- 1825 - Nicholas I succeeds to Czar on death of Alexander I.
- 1870 - Brigham Young incorporates first 'department store' in Salt Lake City, UT.
- 1891 - First game of basketball played at YMCA gym in Springfield, MA lead by inventor James Naismith.
- 1900 - Large brown hawk species Caracara becomes extinct as last one killed on the island of Guadeloupe.
- 1913 - America's first gas station opens by Gulf Refining Co in Pittsburgh.
- 1917 - Boys Town founded in Nebraska.
- 1919 - Britain's first woman MP, Lady Astor, takes seat in House of Commons.
- 1927 - Henry Ford's new Model A goes on display at Waldorf Hotel, NY; 50,000 ordered.
- 1955 - Civil rights movement begins; Rosa Parks arrested for refusing to give up bus seat in Montgomery.
- 1959 - Twelve countries, including the United States, sign treaty in Washington setting aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, free from military activity.
- 1959 - First color photograph of the earth from outer space taken from nose cone of Thor missile.
- 1986 - Manet's 'La Rue Mosniers aux Paveurs' sells for $11.1 million at Christie's, London.
- 1986 - Georges Braque's 'Woman Reading' sells for $9.5 million at Sotheby's, London.
- 1988 - Kohnberg, Kravis, Roberts & Co. emerges as winner to take over Nabisco - Barbarians at the Gate.
- 1998 - World's biggest merger as Exxon announces agreement with Mobil.
- 2005 - Manuscript piano score of Beethoven's 1826 "Grosse Fuge" sold at Sotheby's, London for £1.12 million.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Yugoslavia (1918), Portugal (1640)
- AIDS Awareness Day
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...