Born On This Day:
- King Oscar I Sweden, 1799
- Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1804
- Giuseppe Garibaldi, 1807
- Stephen Foster, 1826
- Calvin Coolidge, 1872
- Rube Goldberg, 1883
- Louis B. Mayer, 1885
- Gertrude Lawrence, 1898
- Louis Armstrong, 1900
- Meyer Lansky, 1902
- Lionel Trilling, 1905
- Mitch Miller, 1911
- Tokyo Rose, 1916
- Ann Landers & Abigail Van Buren, 1918
- Leona Helmsley, 1920
- Eva Marie Saint, 1924
- Neil Simon, 1927
- Gina Lollobrigida, 1928
- Stephen Boyd, 1928
- George Steinbrenner, 1930
- Michael Milken, 1946
- Pam Shriver, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Samuel Richardson, 1761
- Thomas Jefferson, 1826
- John Adams, 1826
- James Monroe, 1831
- François René de Chateaubriand, 1848
- Madame Marie Curie, 1934
- Suzanne Lenglen, 1938
- Eva Gabor, 1995
- Charles Kuralt, 1997
- Mordecai Richler, 2001
- Barry White, 2003
- Jesse Helms, 2008
- 1054 - Crab Nebula, brightest known super-nova begins shining in sky; observed by Chinese astronomers.
- 1636 - Providence RI founded.
- 1776 - Continental Congress adopts the Declaration of Independence; official signing of all members-Aug. 2.
- 1817 - Construction begins on Erie Canal.
- 1828 - Ground-breaking ceremony in Baltimore, MD for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
- 1829 - First London bus runs.
- 1831 - The song 'America' by Samuel Francis Smith first performed at Park St. Church, Boston.
- 1848 - Communist manifesto published by Marx & Engels.
- 1862 - Lewis Carroll conceives idea for 'Alice in Wonderland' on boat trip on River Thames, London.
- 1863 - Surrender at Vicksburg; Confederacy surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant's Union troops in Civil War.
- 1883 - Statue of Liberty presented to U.S. by France.
- 1884 - America's first bullfight held in Dodge City, KS.
- 1888 - First rodeo in America held at Prescott, AZ.
- 1894 - Republic of Hawaii established.
- 1895 - Poem 'America the Beautiful' by Katherine Lee Bates published in Boston.
- 1902 - First motorcycle race in America from Boston to New York.
- 1904 - Construction begins on Panama Canal.
- 1919 - Jack Dempsey KO's Jess Willard in 3rd at Toledo to become world heavyweight boxing champ.
- 1924 - According to flackery, Caesar salad invented today by Chef Caesar Cardini at Palace Hotel, Tijuana.
- 1955 - First king cobra snakes born in captivity at the Bronx Zoo.
- 1976 - Millions of Americans celebrate 200th anniversary of U.S. independence.
- 1997 - Mars Pathfinder reaches the red planet just before dawn deploying 22 lb rover to explore.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Martin of Tours
- Odo the Good
- Andrew of Crete
- Ulric of Augsburg
- UNITED STATES INDEPENDENCE DAY (1776)
- Independence Day Philippines (1946)
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...