Born On This Day:
- William Wilberforce, 1759
- Max Beerbohm, 1872
- Jorge Luis Borges, 1899
- Graham Sutherland, 1903
- Howard Duff, 1913
- Stephen Fry, 1957
- Steve Guttenberg, 1958
- Cal Ripken, 1960
- Marlee Matlin, 1965
- Rupert Grint, 1988
Died On This Day:
- Pliny the Elder, AD 79
- Saint Rose of Lima, 1617
- Thomas Chatterton suicide, 1770
- Philidor, 1795
- Theodore Hook, 1841
- Henry Kaiser, 1967
- E.G. Marshall, 1998
- Julie Harris, 2013
- Richard Attenborough, 2014
- 49 BC - Battle of Bagradas River in the Great Roman Civil War that saw Julius Caesar conquer Rome.
- AD 79 - Mount Vesuvius erupts, Pompeii destroyed, 25,000 dead. Largest eruption in recorded history.
- AD 410 - Rome sacked by Visigoths; first time in almost 800 years (since 387 BC) that Rome falls to an enemy.
- 1572 - Massacre of St. Bartholemew's day in Paris. Catholics slay Huguenots (Protestants).
- 1676 - America's first court-martial trial held in Newport, R.I.-Indian Sowagonish found guilty.
- 1814 - British troops capture Washington DC & set fire to James Madison's White House (War of 1812).
- 1869 - Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, N.Y. patents the waffle iron.
- 1875 - First man swims English Channel - Capt. Matthew Webb breaststrokes from Dover to Calais in 21 hrs.
- 1891 - Thomas Alva Edison files patent on his camera to take moving pictures.
- 1893 - Cyclone swirls through Georgia and South Carolina killing 1,000.
- 1907 - Paintings by Mary Cassatt, American expatriate living in France, first exhibited in New York.
- 1938 - A German Heinkel 178 becomes first working jet propelled airplane in test flight.
- 1949 - NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) comes into force; established by U.S., Canada & 10 European nations.
- 1989 - Voyager 2 reaches Neptune, most distant planet in solar system, 2.8 billion miles away from earth.
- 1992 - Hurricane Andrew slams into Miami at 150 mph destroying 63,000 homes making 10% homeless.
- 1995 - Microsoft finally releases Windows 95 4 months before 1996; huge sales, few happy users.
- 2016 - 6.2 earthquake in Central Italy, epicenter Amatrice which was reduced to rubble, kills 299.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Emily de Vialar
- Joan Thouret
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...