Born On This Day:
- Prophet Muhammad (trad), AD 570
- Francesco Caracciolo, duca de Brienza, 1752
- Peter Mark Roget, 1779
- Daniel Webster, 1782
- Edouard de Laboulaye, 1811
- Paul Leautaud, 1872
- Sir Thomas Sopwith, 1888
- Oliver Hardy, 1892
- A.A. Milne, 1892
- Cary Grant, 1904
- Jacob Bronowski, 1908
- Danny Kaye, 1913
- Ray Dolby, 1933
- John Boorman, 1933
- Kevin Costner, 1955
- Mark Rylance, 1960
Died On This Day:
- John Tyler, 1862
- Wallace Reid, 1923
- Rudyard Kipling, 1936
- Ferdinand Porsche, 1951
- Sydney Greenstreet, 1954
- Hugh Gaitskell, 1963
- Cecil Beaton, 1980
- Bruce Chatwin, 1989
- Rusty Hamer suicide, 1990
- Sargent Shriver, 2011
- 1486 - The first recorded fireworks in England exploded today at Henry VII's wedding.
- 1486 - King Henry VII marries Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV, and future mother of Henry VIII.
- 1733 - The first bear brought to the U.S. is exhibited in Boston.
- 1778 - Hawaii discovered by Captain Cook on his third and final world voyage; calls them Sandwich Islands.
- 1871 - German Empire proclaimed by Bismarck at Versailles; single Reich unites north & south.
- 1911 - First landing of an airplane onto a ship; Eugene Ely lands on U.S.S. Pennsylvania in S.F. harbor.
- 1912 - Captain Scott reaches South Pole; finds that Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen already been there.
- 1943 - Siege of Leningrad raised.
- 1945 - Nazi SS orders Auschwitz to be evacuated and 56,000 prisoners march westward in freezing weather.
- 1950 - Christopher Fry's "Venus Observed" premieres at St. James's Theatre, London.
- 1951 - Volcano eruption in New Guinea; 3,000 die.
- 1974 - Israel & Egypt sign peace agreements after Israel wins Yom Kippur War.
- 1995 - France announces discovery of 30,000 year old cave paintings including panther, hyena and owls.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Margaret of Hungary
- Hindu Day of the Sun
- Saint Athanasius Day celebrated in Greece
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...